Saturday, April 2, 2011

INVINCIBLE SUMMER Playlist: Song 7

SONG #7: "Boys of Summer" by The Ataris.

Another cover. I grew up with this song--it's one of my mom's favorites--and I remember the first time I heard this cover, and it blew my mind. It's a much younger, much more energetic, much more...well, summery version. And it remains, along with Rufus Wainwright's "Across the Universe," one of my favorite covers of all time.

This is the most recent song to make it onto the playlist. I tweak as I go along, but this song didn't come until this winter. So in a way it's kind of cheating, because it wasn't there when I wrote the book. But I can't believe that it wasn't.

It's a perfect 2nd summer song for Chase, when being infatuated with a girl is still exciting. Especially when she's unobtainable.

SAMPLE LYRIC:

I can see you-
Your brown skin shinin' in the sun
You got that hair slicked back and those Wayfarers on, baby
I can tell you my love for you will still be strong
After the boys of summer have gone


CORRELATING PASSAGE:

Bella never made me feel this way. Bella was just lips. We're talking about whole bodies, now. We're talking about lungs.

--p. 97




PLAYLIST SO FAR:
1) "Turn Up The Sun" by Oasis
2) "Island in the Sun" by Weezer
3) "Just Like Heaven" by Gatsby's American Dream

4) "Bigger Than My Body" by John Mayer
5) "New Soul" by Yael Naim
6) "Across the Universe" by Rufus Wainwright
7) "Boys of Summer" by The Ataris

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Loving this playlist so far (what a great idea for a countdown!).

hannah moskowitz said...

Thank you! It's super fun for me (though it forced me to open up the book...*shudder*)

Lydia Sharp said...

I was waiting for this one. It's also one of my favorites (both versions), and I just had a feeling it would be on here eventually. *hearts*

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

The Don Henley version is one of my mom's favorite songs ever. Like you, I grew up with it. I loved it then and when this version came out, it just reaffirmed my love for the song. It really is that perfect summer song; that embodies youth and lust and longing.